Montana Licensing Requirements for Audiology and

Speech-Language Pathology

The information below is collected from state licensure boards or regulatory agencies responsible for regulating the professions of speech-language pathology and/or audiology. It is intended for informational use only, and should not be construed as legal advice.

Contact the state’s licensure board or regulatory agency for exact licensure, certification, or registration requirements in your jurisdiction.

Initial Licensure Requirements


  1. Must possess a Doctor of Audiology degree or a PhD in Audiology from an accredited program approved by the Board of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (Board).
  2. Passage of a national exam approved by the Board
  3. If the applicant is a holder of a valid Montana license prior to 2007 and maintains that license, the applicant will not be required to obtain a doctorate to practice audiology in the future.
  4. Passage of a Montana jurisprudence exam

Speech Language Pathology

  1. Master’s degree in speech pathology or communication
  2. Completion of a practicum with a minimum of 400 clock hours of supervision (375 of direct patient contact)
  3. Completion of a 36-week clinical experience with a mentor
  4. Passage of the Praxis exam
  5. Passage of a Montana jurisprudence exam


  1. Persons licensed in the state under any other law from engaging in the profession for which they are licensed
  2. Federal employees within their organizational jurisdiction
  3. Students properly designated as speech-language pathology or audiology interns or trainees
  4. Class A certificate holders issued by the Conference of Executives of American Schools of the Deaf
  5. Unlicensed persons may provide speech-language pathology or audiology services for no more than 5 days per calendar year if services are performed in cooperation with a state-licensed SLP or audiologist.


  1. ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) holders upon payment of a fee and also must submit evidence of certification
  2. Audiology applicants with a license from another state that have equivalent or greater standards prior to January 1, 2007, will not be required to obtain a doctorate to practice in the state.
  3. Persons licensed to practice in another state with substantially equivalent to or greater standards that in Montana at the time of the application.

Interim Practice/Temporary Licensure

  1. An active temporary license to practice as a speech language pathologist and/or audiologist will be issued to persons engaged in clinical experience year activities or clinical fellowship year activities. It is valid for two years.
  2. Audiologists and speech language pathologists with ASHA CCCs or equivalent or are licensed in another state and who has made application for a license may be granted a one-year temporary permit to practice pending approval of their application.

Continuing Education for Licensure Renewal

Must complete 40 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) per 2-year renewal cycle; dual licensees 50 CEUs

Board Oversight

Department of Labor & Industry, Board of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists

Board Composition

The Board shall comprise five state residents appointed by the governor; there shall be two licensed speech-language pathologists and two licensed audiologists who have been practicing for at least 5 years preceding their appointment, and one public member who is a consumer of speech-language pathology or audiology services.


The information contained herein was collected and summarized annually. For detailed information on state licensure requirements, contact the state board and visit this website:

Board of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists


Questions regarding state advocacy issues? Call ASHA at 800-498-2071 and ask for the State Advocacy Team.