Want to help hard-of-hearing people? You can choose to become one of the following hearing care professionals to help people on their journey to hear sounds. Here’s an overview of different hearing specialists along with their specific areas of expertise.

  • Audiologists
    Audiologists are professionals who assess and treat hearing loss in adults and children. They can prescribe and fit hearing aids, monitor hearing related treatments and work with implants. They have extensive training in speech and hearing science along with a graduate degree in Clinical Audiology.
  • Otolaryngologists
    Otolaryngologists are nose, ear, and throat physicians who perform a complete physical examination of head and neck. They treat hearing problems, address allergies, remove tumors from the neck, and perform reconstructive surgeries. A medical degree is required to become an otolaryngologist. The nationally accepted credential for otolaryngologists is the American Board of Otolaryngology board certification.
  • Hearing aid specialists
    Hearing aid specialists or hearing instrument specialists access, select, fit, and dispense hearing aid. They provide patient with instructions on how to use and care for the hearing aids. An individual needs to pass the International Licensing Exam (ILE) conducted by the International Hearing Society. A hearing instrument specialist should pass the exam to get his license and start practicing in most states in the USA.
  • Audiometrists
    Non-medical hearing specialists, Audiometrists, help audiologists and other practitioners measure and fit hearing aid properly. They work with patients to help them get benefit from the prescribed hearing aids. Audiometrists need to be qualified from a registered training organization. This requires two years of study followed by on-job training.
  • Otologists and neurotologists
    Board certified ENTs, Otologists, and neurotologists spend an extra two years to study ears, and their related systems. They treat infection and inflammation disease of the ear, hearing loss, facial nerve disorder and tumors of the ear and hearing nerves. They can surgically correct physical conditions that cause hearing loss and are also certified to treat nerve pathway disorder.
  • Speech pathologists
    Speech pathologists or speech and language therapists treat people of all age group suffering from communication disability. They work on all aspects of communication process from a problem with hearing, writing speech, to cognitive communication issues. Speech pathologists work with a team of medical professionals, teachers, and parents. A graduate degree in speech-language pathology is required.

Career as a Hearing Aid Specialist

Looking to start a career as a hearing instrument specialist? You can now pass the ILE and start practicing as a licensed hearing aid specialist within 3 to 6 months depending on how fast or how slow you complete the course. Study online from the most comprehensive and advanced education program created for hearing aid specialists.

Benefits of Hearing Aid Academy

  • 100% online education
  • Set your schedule
  • Work from any location
  • Self-paced online program
  • Globally recognized certification
  • Complete the course within 3 to 6 months

Enroll in this 100% online program today. Email us at admissions@hearingaidacademy.com